Sunday, February 25, 2007

Finally, more switches installed...

Yay, got a few hours this afternoon with the kid asleep and the wife busy enough elsewhere that I could install some of the switches I bought from Fry's in Austin several weeks ago. My first priority was to address lights that are used most often (and thus, left on by my wife most often!). So, I installed switches on her closet in the bedroom, her closet in the bathroom, my closet in the bathroom, and the main light in the bathroom (as well as a slave in the 3-way for the main bathroom switch). Programming these are straightforward as I don't need to the send any links, and they only need to receive All Off and Bedtime links.

This brings my total up 17 UPB devices, 2 of which are slave switches (bathroom, living room), and 2 of which do not control loads (tabletop controllers on our nightstands), so maybe it's more correct to say 13 UPB controlled loads. I still have left to install 4 more US11-30's from Fry's, a single US-240 that I have leftover from starter kits, and a slave switch for the top of the stairs. For self-documentation purposes, here's where I want to install the switches:
Slave - top of stairs
US2-40: playroom, so I can control living room lights from there as well
US11-30's x 4: laundry room, garage light, dining room, office

EDIT: rather than the garage light, I think I would rather do the front porch exterior light

On more philosophical notes, I continue to reference Smart Home Hacks (the book that got me into this mess in the first place) on a regular basis for ideas on what I could/should be doing. I do have a list of ideas somewhere (and it should be here at some point), but simply lack the free time to implement these for now. As I read through the book more and more, I wonder more and more why the author chose to make the large majority (>90%) or his examples using software that is only Mac compatible. I think it would have served him equally well or better to write his scripts in a PC based software (such as HomeSeer), or at least to make equivalent scripts available over the website. At least that way, I could have a good reference (again, lack of basic VB skills on my part) for the logic that I want to perform. OK, I'm off my soapbox.

3 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Keep posting, this is a Great source for information!
Dave

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Drecos said...

Why didn't you choosed X10 switchs?

___________________________
Crazy about Home Automation

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Adam said...

X10 wasn't really for me... there are a lot of people who have it rock solid after much time and effort, and there are those that have a 70% response rate. I was willing to spend a little more for more reliability with UPB. As it turns out, there is so much noise on my power lines that it interrupts even UPB, so there's no way X10 would have worked for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home