Monday, February 12, 2007

Taking the plunge

I can't believe it was just last August that I discovered this whole industry. And now, people are actually leaving more responses on my blog! Unbelievable.

So, this past week has been a busy week. I finally took the plunge and registered my copy of HomeSeer (along with the plug-ins for my 3COM Audreys, UPB, and ACRF). Yes, you did see the ACRF plug-in in that list. I happened to be at Automated Outlet over the weekend for a meeting of the North Texas Home Automation Users Group. So, while I was there, I purchased the WGL W800RF32 to receive wireless X10 (and X10 security) signals. Additionally, I got some motion detectors, wireless wall switches, a PalmPad remote, and Martin through in a keyfob for me (which I didn't want initially, but turned out to be great for testing the receiver!).

The hookup of the receiver was extremely straightforward, and the documentation for the ACRF plug-in explains everything clearly. The first thing I did was to shadow the entry way light (the only currently automated light I can see from my office, where the home automation computer is) to the first button on the keyfob... and presto! I had wireless control of at least one light.

I then managed to set up one of the motion detectors the way I wanted to so that now, when I walk into the kitchen (which has very badly placed switches, not my fault!), the lights come on automagically. I think this will probably save some money as the lights in the kitchen spent significantly less time on than they normally would have.

Still to do: motion sensors for the living room, a wireless wall switch next to the garage so the house can know who is home (will have to wait for RFID until later), door/window sensors in appropriate places, and when I get the time, I still have 10 or 11 switches to install around the house. Also, I have a 3rd Audrey that needs setting up somewhere. On the software side, I'd like to set up our morning alarm clocks to be set automatically rather than having to manually (i.e., voice activated) set them every night. And I'd like to have a few more voice announcements (novelty factor at this point... but something useful at least).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home